Members of the bench, bar, and public are hereby notified by the District of Columbia Judicial Nomination Commission (the “Commission”) that a vacancy on the Superior Court of the District of Columbia will occur as a result of the resignation of the Honorable Judith N. Macaluso, effective April 30, 2016. The Commission invites qualified individuals to apply for this vacancy by 5 pm on November 20, 2015. Application materials, including instructions, are available on the Commission’s website: www.jnc.dc.gov.
Pursuant to D.C. Code § 1-204.33(b), no person may be nominated or appointed a judge of a District of Columbia court unless the person—
- is a citizen of the United States;
- is an active member of the unified District of Columbia Bar and has been engaged in the active practice of law in the District for the five years immediately preceding the nomination or for such five years has been on the faculty of a law school in the District, or has been employed as a lawyer by the United States or the District of Columbia government;
- is a bona fide resident of the District of Columbia and has maintained an actual place of abode in the District of Columbia for at least 90 days immediately prior to the nomination, and shall retain such residency while serving as such judge;
- is recommended to the President, for such nomination and appointment, by the District of Columbia Judicial Nomination Commission; and
- has not served, within a period of two years prior to the nomination, as a member of the District of Columbia Commission on Judicial Disabilities and Tenure or the Judicial Nomination Commission.
Applicants shall submit an original and one paper copy of their complete application materials to the Executive Director. All application materials and correspondence shall be addressed to Katherine L. Garrett, Executive Director, Judicial Nomination Commission, 515 Fifth Street, NW, Suite 235, Washington, DC 20001. All application materials must be received no later than 5 pm November 20, 2015. Late, incomplete, or outdated application materials will not be considered.
Applicants shall also email a copy of their Letter of Interest, Resume, Applicant Questionnaire, and writing samples, in separate PDF format files to the Executive Director and to each Commission member. Detailed instructions are on the Commission’s website.
The Commission does not require letters of recommendation, letters of support, or endorsements, but will accept them. Such letters must be received by the Commission no later than 5 pm on December 18, 2015. Consult the application instructions on the Commission‘s website for additional information on the procedures for submitting letters.
Questions concerning the judicial vacancy application process shall be directed to the Commission’s Executive Director at (202) 879-0478 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the District of Columbia Judicial Nomination Commission
The Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
333 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Ronald Flagg, Esquire
Legal Services Corporation
3333 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Mr. William Lucy
Vice President, AFL-CIO
1831 Sudbury Lane, NW
Washington, DC 20012
Natalie O. Ludaway, Esquire
Office of the Attorney General
441 4th Street, NW, Suite 1100 S
Washington, DC 20001
Woody N. Peterson, Esquire
Dickstein Shapiro LLP
1825 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006-5403
Rev. Morris L. Shearin Sr.
Israel Baptist Church
1251 Saratoga Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20018
Grace E. Speights, Esquire
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
1111 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20004
Direct: (202) 739.5189