Application instructions for judicial vacancies and for the office of chief judge are below. Please review the instructions carefully. JNC holds open conference calls to address judicial vacancy questions. Dates are posed with current vacancy information.
Please note that all judicial applicants and candidates for chief judge must also obtain a Police Clearance using MPD Form 70 (Criminal History Request), review the Arrest and Criminal History Section for complete instructions on getting this form.
PLEASE NOTE: JNC undertook a comprehensive revision of its Applicant Questionnaire, released January 2017. All applications must be made with the revised Applicant Questionnaire, or they will not be accepted.
JNC no longer accepts application materials by email. View JNC’s Policy Concerning Electronic Records.
Download the instructions and application materials:
- JNC Form 20 Application Instructions (revised April 2017)
- JNC Form 20-CJ Chief Judge Application Instructions (December 2016)
- JNC Form 21 Applicant Questionnaire (revised January 2017)
- JNC Form 21A Applicant Questionnaire (revised April 2017)
- JNC Form 22 Applicant Identification Form (revised October 2015)
- JNC Form 23 Authorization to Release Information (revised February 2017)
- JNC Form 24 IRS Tax Check Waiver (revised November, 2017)
- JNC Form 25 DC Tax Check Waiver (revised July 29, 2010)
- JNC Form 26 Notarized Release from Liability (revised June 2016)
- JNC Form 27 Medical Certification (for Chief Judge Designation Applications only) (revised April 20, 2012)
- JNC Form 28 Certification of Eligibility (NEW April 2017)
NOTE: Individuals who have previously applied for a judicial vacancy may qualify to submit the short-form application, JNC Form 21A. In certain circumstances, identified in the relevant notice of vacancy, applicants may also apply simply with a letter of interest.