Application instructions for judicial vacancies and for the office of chief judge are below. Please review the instructions carefully. JNC holds open conference calls to address judicial vacancy questions. Dates are posed with current vacancy information.
Please note that all judicial applicants and candidates for chief judge must also obtain a Police Clearance using MPD Form 70 (Criminal History Request), review the Arrest and Criminal History Section for complete instructions on getting this form.
PLEASE NOTE: Application materials are periodically updated. Applicants must use the current version of the application materials, as posted below. Application materials must be received no later than 12 pm on the date stated in the Notice of Judicial Vacancy. Incomplete, late, or outdated application materials will not be considered.
JNC no longer accepts application materials by email. View JNC’s Policy Concerning Electronic Records.
Download the instructions and application materials:
- JNC Form 20 Application Instructions (revised December 2019)
- JNC Form 20-CJ Chief Judge Application Instructions (December 2016)
- JNC Form 21 Applicant Questionnaire (revised December 2019)
- JNC Form 21A Applicant Questionnaire (revised June 2019)
- JNC Form 22 Applicant Identification Form (revised October 2015)
- JNC Form 23 Authorization to Release Information (revised February 2017)
- JNC Form 25 DC Tax Check Waiver (revised July 29, 2010)
- JNC Form 26 Notarized Release from Liability (revised June 2016)
- JNC Form 27 Medical Certification (for Chief Judge Designation Applications only) (revised April 20, 2012)
- JNC Form 28 Certification of Eligibility (revised November 2019)
- IRS Form 14767 Consent to Disclose Tax Compliance Check (revised November 2019)
NOTE: Individuals who have previously applied for a judicial vacancy may qualify to submit the short-form application, JNC Form 21A. In certain circumstances, identified in the relevant notice of vacancy, applicants may also apply simply with a letter of interest.